Urinary incontinence is the medical term to explain the condition of leakage of urine. This implies that the person urinates even on the slightest of the stress. It is a common problem in middle and old aged people due to weakening or loss of voluntary control on the muscles of the urinary sphincter.
Here are the identifying symptoms of urinary incontinence:
- Urinary leakage while laughing, coughing or exercising
- Wetting the bed at night
- Frequent urgent need to urinate
The problem of urinary incontinence can happen to anybody from either gender. The prevailing causes of urinary incontinence are:
- Enlarged prostate
- Prostate cancer
- Neurological disorders
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus)
Urinary incontinence can keep getting gradually severe with time if treatment is delayed for months. Rashes, sores, and urinary tract infections are the common complications that occur if a person does not receive proper treatment.
What are the effective treatments for urinary incontinence?
Natural-Treatment (Dietary changes, Lifestyle Changes and Behavioural Exercises)
- Drink sufficient water throughout the day. However, avoid drinking any fluids 2-3 hours before bedtime to avoid any leakage or late night visits to the bathroom.
- Eat healthy natural foods and make sure your diet contains enough fibers and minerals to maintain a healthy bowel and urinary system. Eating foods that can cause constipation may worsen urinary incontinence as the person would need to exert too much pressure during bowel movement.
- Keep a firm check on carbonated drinks, caffeine, excess sugar, spicy foods and artificial sweeteners. These can also aggravate the symptoms of urinary incontinence and have dehydrating impacts on the muscles.
- Try to train your bladder to hold the urine. Everytime you feel the urge to pee, try to delay urination by 5-10 minutes. Continue doing this until the average time interval between two consecutive visits to the bathroom becomes around 3-3.5 hours. But also remember to not hold urine for a long time. Doing so may not prove to be in your favour.
- Double void your bladder to prevent any overflow. Whenever you go to the bathroom, pee, then wait for a while and empty your bladder again. This is quite an effective way to deal with urinary incontinence on a daily basis.
- Regular exercising can bring wonderful change in a few weeks only. Kegel exercises can be particularly helpful in the condition of urinary incontinence. These exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and help control the symptoms of urinary incontinence.
Medicines to cure urinary incontinence
Some of the best Ayurvedic medicines for urinary incontinence are:
- Sukumaram Kashayam
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Dhanwantaram Kashayam
Effective homeopathic remedies for urinary incontinence include:
- Ferrum phos
Urinary incontinence can be treated through allopathic medicines as well. The most widely prescribed classes of medicines for urinary incontinence are as follows:
- Alpha Blockers (Only for men, relaxes the prostate muscles to allow easier urine flow)
- Mirabegron (Relaxes the muscles of the urinary bladder, thereby allowing it to hold more volume of urine)
- Anticholinergics (Helps in relieving the symptoms of overactive bladder)
- Topical Estrogen (Only for women, helps in the rejuvenation of vaginal and urethral tissues)
The aforementioned non-surgical treatments are effective in most cases. However, if these fail to bring the positive results, it is better to consider the surgical option for urinary incontinence treatment.
Nowadays, the modern laser procedure for urinary incontinence is the most preferred surgery for treating the condition.
Laser surgery for permanent relief from urinary incontinence
Laser treatment for urinary incontinence is a state of the art technique that is becoming widely popular these days. In this advanced procedure, the surgeon makes use of a CO2 laser to loosen the urinary tract muscles. As a result, the urine can flow easily and this resolves the discomforts of urinary incontinence.
Laser treatment for urinary incontinence does not require any cuts or stitches and is thus minimally invasive. The procedure is not at all painful and the surgery treats urinary incontinence permanently. In addition to having very high success rates, laser treatment is 100% safe and reliable as well. It has no risk of complications or infections and also offers a smooth and speedy recovery. You just need to follow a few instructions that your doctor provides, and you’ll recover within no time.
If you are struggling with the troubles of urinary incontinence, you can get in touch with Pristyn Care. They are one of the top healthcare providers in India and house some of the most experienced urologists in all the major Indian cities. Pristyn Care offers the most advanced treatment techniques for urinary incontinence and all their surgeons are well-trained in performing the modern surgeries. Book your appointment online, get a thorough diagnosis done and then undergo the best suited treatment according to your condition.
It may take some to notice the symptoms of urinary incontinence. Medical diagnosis is necessary to rule out the cause and severity of the condition. Now that the modern surgical treatment for urinary incontinence has become so simple and complication-free, there is nothing to worry if and when your doctor recommends undergoing surgery. So, if you have been holding apprehensions regarding urinary incontinence lately, it’s high time to give up that. Feel free to speak to a specialist doctor and choose the seamless treatment over stress and misery.