Hair loss is a common problem for both males & females. It might be due to stress, genetic factors, medical conditions, or poor hair care. Male-pattern baldness or androgenicalopecia is a rising concern. 40percent of men lose almost 40 percent oftheir hair even before they reach theage of 35 years. Butyou need not worry as we now have the technology tocounter it. This technology is commonly known as PRP treatment or Platelet Rich Plasma treatment.
In this article, Dr. Firdous explains everything that you should know about PRP treatment. Dr. Firdous is one of the best dermatologist in Secunderabad. She has 14 years of experience & has treated more than 10000 patients till date.
PRP treatment is a non-surgical & non-invasive method to treat hair loss in both males & females. PRP is a new treatment method for baldness or hair loss. In this method blood from a patient is collected & platelets rich plasma matter is separated. This plasma is used to treat the hair loss by injecting them into the scalp. It takes 2-3 months to show results & might need a booster treatment after 6 months. PRP is a new technique but still, it has shown promising results for treating hair loss. Nowadays this has become one of the most preferred treatment methods for hair loss.
Our blood contains two major components that are red blood cells & plasma. Plasma contains white blood cells & platelets. These two things are rich in growth factors that stimulate & rejuvenates the hair follicles. This also divides the follicles to ensure the proper growth of hair by increasing hair density. PRP also secretes additional growth factors to develop new hair cells.
- It is a non-surgical & non-invasive method which means you will not have any scar or marks after the treatment.
- As you are injecting natural growth factors, the hair growth will also be natural.
- It is safe & shows a promising result without any complication.
- The whole process takes a maximum of 1 hour & no hospital stay is required. You can be back to your normal life on the very same day of the treatment.
- The method is painless. Though there are some cases where patients have reported very little pain during the injection process that can be avoided with the help of local anesthesia.
- It is a cost-efficient method.
It is effective in the primary level of hair loss. Anyone who is completely bald cannot be treated using this method. Persons with genetic hair loss problem can be treated with this method. There are a few things that a doctor will consider before recommending PRP treatment.
Your doctor might not prefer PRP in case-
- You are using blood thinners.
- You are a chain smoker, alcohol consumer, or drug addict.
- You are having cancer, liver disease, or skin diseases.
- Thyroid issue, lower platelet count, or platelet dysfunction problem.
PRP Treatment Process-
The whole PRP treatment is divided into 3 major parts which are explained below-
- Collection of Blood- 15-20 ml of blood is collected from the vein of the patient. This is done with the help of a syringe. Then it is stored in a 20-22 cc specialized tube.
- Separation- In this step the tube is placed in a centrifuge. A centrifuge is a machine that rotates the tube at a very high speed. This is done to separate the components based on their density. This process continues for 10-15 minutes. This separates the blood into 3 different layers. The layer containing heavy red blood cells remains at the bottom. The middle layer is of platelet-rich plasma & the upper layer is of platelet-poor plasma.
- Injecting- The platelet-rich plasma is collected in a syringe. This is then injected into the scalp of the patient. The doctor targets the areas with less hair density or complete baldness. This can be done in 2 different layers of the scalp. In the sub-dermal method, the doctor uses a lesser number of injections with a long needle. The subcutaneous fat layer is injected with PRP in this method. In the dermal method, the doctor uses a shorter needle but more number of injections. The PRP is injected into the dermal layer in this case. Considering factors such as age, growth rate, hair density your doctor will use the suitable method of PRP injection.
PRP is not a permanent or one-time solution. A maintenance checkup is required. Treatment is done once a month for the first 2-4 months & after 6 months and more therapy is required to ensure a higher growth rate. It takes 2-3 months to show a positive result.
Few of the visible differences in the first 3 months are-
- Reduced hair fall.
- Faster hair growth.
- Higher hair density.
As you will be injected with your blood, there is no chance of communicable diseases. You must share your clinical history with the doctor to avoid any complications. Most of the time there are no risks or complications in this treatment. But in rarest cases, few side effects are reported by patients such as-
- Minimal infection.
- Blood vessel injury.
- Calcification in injected areas.
- Scar marks of injection.
- Reaction to the anesthesia used during the process.
Though there are very fewer chances of facing such issues. But in case you feel any issue after the process, you must consult with your doctor immediately.
PRP Treatment Cost-
The complete PRP treatment will cost around Rs. 20000-35000 for all sessions. It takes around Rs. 4000-6500 for one session. The cost varies depending upon the level of baldness & depending upon the place of treatment.