Netgear WiFi range extenders are used to expand the WiFi range of the existing network and are used by billions of users across the globe. The extender allows its users to enjoy the lag-free internet on their connected devices from anywhere in their home. No matter which Netgear extender model you have, changing its default login credentials would be better to secure it from on-going threats. Apart from that, changing the Netgear extender login password also reduces the risk of hacking. So, here are the step-by-step instructions to change the Netgear extender login password in no time. Let’s take the plunge!
Steps to Change Netgear Extender Login Password
When you try to access the web-based setup page of your Netgear WiFi range extender, a login screen will appear on your device’s screen asking you to enter the admin details. By using the default Netgear extender login details, you can easily land on the web-based setup page of your device. However, we suggest the users to change the extender’s default username and password in order to keep intruders at bay.
Here’s how to change the username and password of your Netgear WiFi range extender in minutes.
Note: Before you initiate the process of changing the username and password of your Netgear extender, make sure that it is properly connected to your home router/ modem.
Start the process of changing the Netgear extender login details by launching an up-to-date and load-free internet browser on a PC or laptop. Make sure that your device is connected to your extender’s WiFi.
Hover your mouse cursor over the browser’s address bar and type www.mywifiext.net.
- Enter the Netgear extender’s username and password when prompted. If you are not aware of the default login credentials, refer to the Netgear extender manual.
- Once you’re done, click on OK.
- Now, the BASIC Home page will display.
- Select the Wireless option.
- Enter the new network name in the Name (SSID) field. Make sure to create a unique SSID for your Netgear WiFi range extender.
- Thereafter, create a new, unique, and hard-to-detect password for your Netgear WiFi extender and enter it in the Password (Network Key) fields.
- Click on the Apply button once you’re done.
- Congrats! Your changes are saved. You have successfully changed the default Netgear extender login details. It is recommended to change the Netgear extender password in a month or two to avoid the risk of hacking.
Bonus Tip: On the off chance if the web address, www.mywifiext.net do not allow you to reach the web-based setup page, it is suggested to use the default Netgear extender IP address i.e. 192.168.1.250.
Facing Issues While Changing the Default Netgear Extender Login Credentials?
In the event that you are facing issues while changing the default Netgear extender login credentials, fret not. Have a quick glance at the troubleshooting tips highlighted below and apply then in exact given order.
- Bear in mind that if you are using the browser’s search bar for entering 192.168.1.250 or www.mywifiext.net, then you will surely face issues while reaching the web-based setup page of your Netgear extender. Thus, to fix it, use only the browser’s URL bar.
- Ensure that you are entering the correct Netgear extender login (default) details while changing them. Remember, if you don’t have the existing login details of your Netgear extender, you won’t be able to create a new one.
- Your PC or laptop must be connected to the extender’s WiFi in order to avoid mywifiext not working issue.
Our post on how to change the Netgear extender login password ends here. Just in case, even after following the steps highlighted above, you can’t change the login credentials of your Netgear WiFi range extender, you are free to seek assistance from our competent technical experts anytime for immediate assistance.