What breeds make the best family dogs? What are the best dog breeds for kids? When adding a new puppy or dog to your family, it can be difficult to decide which is the best fit. We’ve compiled 10 of the best dog breeds for families and kids.
Many breeds make wonderful family dogs, though some are better suited for suburban and farm families than households living in the city. Family dogs such as Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Beagles, and Irish Setters are playful and protective. Pugs, Brussels Griffons and French Bulldogs love their families – particularly their laps.
Best Dog Breeds for Kids & Best Family Dogs:
The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog in the United States for a reason. The breed is friendly, patient, and trainable. The breed is extremely versatile, doing everything including hunting, showing, dock diving, tracking, obedience.
- Personality: Friendly and outgoing, Labs play well with others
- Energy Level: Very active; Labs are high-spirited and not afraid to show it
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with Other Dogs: With supervision
- Shedding: Regularly
- Grooming: Weekly brushing
- Trainability: Eager to please
- Height: 22.5-24.5 inches (male), 21.5-23.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 65-80 pounds (male), 55-70 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Medium